Summer Camp Leader in Training Program
The “Leaders in Training” (LIT) Program at Forest Lake Camp is a leadership program specifically designed to not only prepare a camper for being a summer camp counselor, but also a leader in society. The LIT program is a ‘life’ program that helps prepare kids for adulthood, college, and additional responsibility. It is bigger than a traditional CIT program. This is an opportunity for our 16-year-old campers.
An LIT is first and foremost, a great role model. S/He is someone who embodies the best characteristics of FLC: confident in trying new things, responsible, respectful, fun, and has grown into a leadership role which shows they can be flexible, make positive improvements with little direction, and is willing to take on challenges.
Some of the things a LIT can expect of his/her summer are to:
- Assist counselors and learn from them in both the cabins and activities
- Experience the value of reflection through conversation in small groups with a focus on one’s personal journey and the tools needed to move forward in life
- Be involved in meetings (planning, informational and training)
- Practice stewardship, both in the FLC community as well as outside of FLC (all LIT’s have the opportunity to receive up to 50 hrs of community service hours toward high school requirements
- Become a more effective teacher and coach through working with campers and great staff
- Receive American Red Cross lifeguard/CPR certification
- An in-cabin experience
- Evaluations and feedback on their performance
2019 LIT Program
The 7 week program will consist of 5 full weeks of structured curriculum with each week consisting of a theme, such as Wilderness, Waterfront skills (including Lifeguard/CPR training), child development and care, and the essentials of planning and leading activities. They will also serve an integral role in planning camp wide activities as well as an LIT service project that will add to Forest Lake Camp and ensure that they leave a lasting legacy at the camp they love so much.
LITs will still have the benefit of a traditional summer camp experience in addition to working closely with FLC’s staff and campers to create a unique and memorable summer for all. Our program aims to balance being a camper in combination with a specific programming element that will provide them with their best summer camp experience yet.
If you are 16 years old and going into 11th grade you are eligible to apply to our LIT program. Spots are limited so please make sure you are ready for the added responsibility of being an LIT and are eager to learn and grow at camp.
Be sure to include in your one-page essay why you feel you would make a strong and effective LIT. Please be specific, use examples, and explain your goals for the summer. We also require 1 letter of recommendation from a teacher, mentor or coach from your high school.
In making a decision about your candidacy, we will weigh the effort shown through your application as well as through our follow up interview with each candidate.
Completed LIT applications should be sent to [email protected] Upon receiving your LIT application and online enrollment, we will review your submission and make a decision in a timely manner.
FLC’s LIT program is a 7-week program. All 7-week LIT’s will receive a 20% discount to the total tuition with additional early enrollment discounts.
Timeline for 2019 LIT Application:
- Application is due by October 1, 2018 if you would like to take advantage of the Early bird discount (and save an additional $500), otherwise the deadline is November 1, 2018
- Letter of reference (by a teacher, mentor or coach from your high school) is due by November 1, 2018
- For those applications received, interviews will be scheduled and conducted by December 1, 2018
- All 2019 LIT acceptances will be announced by January 1, 2019
- All accepted LIT’s must enroll and fill out the online camper application by October 1, 2018 (for Early Bird) or November 1, 2018 to be accepted into the 2019 LIT program
- All 7-week accepted LITs will receive a 20% tuition discount.
- Tuition payment is refundable through January 15 2019
The small print:
We have reserved these slots for campers who truly show leadership potential and have a desire to excel in the camp setting. This is demonstrated through previous summer experience and performance (if applicable), the application, and a formal interview. All communications and forms should be the work of the applicant. Submission of an application does not indicate an acceptance into the LIT program. Acceptance into the LIT program does not guarantee employment for future summers.