Mike Swartley, our caretaker for the past 3 years, will be leaving us this spring. We want to thank Mike and his wife Kim for all they have contributed to improving and maintaining FLC’s beautiful campus. We wish them both well in their future endeavors.
If you know someone who might be interesting in apply for this job, please forward the below job description along to them. Thanks!
Caretaker Job Description
Forest Lake Camp, located in Chestertown NY, is a traditional summer camp for boys and girls and operates on over 823 acres in the ADK Mountains. Operating since 1926 we offer a children’s summer camp experience as well as Family Camp, School Groups, Corporate Retreats and weddings from about mid May to mid October. FLC is family owned and operated and has a rich history steeped in tradition.
Forest Lake Camp is located on a vast property with approximately 40 buildings and structures, numerous fields, courts, activity centers, miles of maintained trails, it’s own private lake, and a new state of the art dining facility. We strive to keep all aspects of the property in top physical and aesthetic shape and are currently seeking a live-in caretaker to maintain, improve and manage the infrastructure of the property. The Caretaker will work closely with the Head of Grounds, Camp Directors, Rentals Manager and this position will report to one of the owners of Forest Lake Camp.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected] prior to March 15.
Job Title: Live In Caretaker – Head of Buildings, Maintenance and Infrastructure
Reports to: Forest Lake Summer Camp
FLSA Status: Exempt
Summary: Working closely with the Forest Lake Camp Director and owners, the Forest Lake Camp Caretaker – Head of Buildings, Maintenance and Infrastructure will be responsible for the general maintenance, upkeep and improvements of the buildings and infrastructure as well as the off season security of an 800 acre camp property located near Lake George.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Support the Camp’s mission of providing the best traditional summer camp experience for its campers and best Adirondack experience for its Rentals customers.
- Act as a team player working closely with both the Forest Lake Camp Administrative staff and the Head of Grounds
- Work independently and with others to continue to improve the camp facilities
- Offer input and creative ideas related to the facilities and grounds that will enhance the experience of our campers and guests
- Keep in good repair all aspects of the camp’s equipment which is primarily dedicated to buildings and infrastructure including pickup trucks, Gravely, carpentry tools and various other equipment
- During the camp season (June to October) respond to maintenance requests from the summer camp and administrative staff, while otherwise focusing on key improvement projects of buildings and infrastructure
- During the off-season (October-June) complete maintenance and improvement projects of buildings and infrastructure as directed in order to continuously improve the property
- Complete the opening of the property in the Spring and the shutdown and winterization of the physical plant in the Fall. This includes water systems and opening/closing of buildings, winterizing equipment and facilities.
- Execute on all aspects of completing major and minor projects including purchasing all necessary materials and hiring needed assistance within defined budgets
- Provide security functions for the camp during the off-season
- Perform routine maintenance on the interior and exterior of all buildings
- Execute on administrative tasks to maintain supply and equipment levels necessary for performing all routine maintenance
- Hire and manage outside contractors when needed and approved to complete various buildings and infrastructure projects
- Hire and manage approved part-time staff to assist with projects
- Provide input and expertise in the designation of annual budgets
- Manage costs to agreed-upon budgets
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must have experience in basic carpentry, electrical work and plumbing
- Must have experience with general maintenance and handyman work
- Experience with operating general maintenance machinery and equipment preferred
- Advanced building/carpentry experience a major plus
- Advanced plumbing and/or electrical experience a plus
- Ability to juggle multiple projects at once necessary
- Must be able to establish and meet deadlines.
- Must be able to complete projects on budget and on time.
- Must be able to recognize and resolve problems collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to work independently and as a team player.
- Must have excellent communications skills via the spoken word and electronically.
The work environment characteristics described below are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Camp grounds and buildings.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to perform physical labor required
- Ability to operate machinery needed for the job required
- Base Salary
- Bonus Eligible
- Complimentary 3-bedroom home provided
- Health Care
- Meals during summer operation
- Vacation, personal and sick days