“Leaders in Training” (LIT) Program at Forest Lake Camp is a leadership program specifically designed to not only prepare a camper for being a summer camp counselor, but also a leader in society. The LIT program is a ‘life’ program that helps prepare kids for adulthood, college, and additional responsibility. It is bigger than a traditional CIT program. This is an opportunity for our 16-year-old campers.
A LIT is first and foremost, a great role model. S/He is someone who embodies the best characteristics of FLC: confident in trying new things, responsible, respectful, fun, and has grown into a leadership role which shows s/he can be flexible, make positive improvements with little direction, and is willing to take on challenges.
Some of the things a LIT can expect of his/her summer are to:
- Assist counselors and learn from them in both the cabins and activities
- Experience the value of reflection through conversation in small groups with a focus on one’s personal journey and the tools needed to move forward in life
- Be involved in meetings (planning, informational and training)
- Practice stewardship, both in the FLC community as well as outside of FLC (all LIT’s have the opportunity to receive up to 50 hrs of community service hours toward high school requirements
- Become a more effective teacher and coach through working with campers and great staff
If you are ready to succeed in FLC’s LIT responsibilities, then we encourage you to apply to the program. Unfortunately we are not always able to accept all who apply, so please ensure you are ready for the additional responsibilities and challenges of being a LIT.
In order to apply, you need to complete the LIT application and ‘Letter of Intent’, as well as fill out our online LIT enrollment form.
Be sure to include in your one-page essay why you feel you would make a strong and effective LIT. Please be specific, use examples, and explain your goals for the summer. We also require 1 letter of recommendation form a teacher, mentor or coach from your high school.
In making a decision about your candidacy, we will weigh the effort shown through your application as well as through our follow up phone call (skype) we conduct with each candidate. LIT Application and Letter of intent :2017-lit-application
Completed LIT applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon receiving your LIT application and online enrollment, we will review your submission and make a decision in a timely manner.
FLC’s LIT program is a 7-week program. All 7-week LIT’s will receive a 20% discount to the total tuition with additional early enrollment discounts.
Timeline for 2017 LIT Application:
- Application is due by October 1, 2016 if you would like to take advantage of the Early bird discount (and save an additional $200), otherwise the deadline is November 1, 2016
- Letter of reference (by a teacher, mentor or coach from your high school) is due by November 1, 2016
- For those applications received, interviews will be scheduled and conducted by December 1, 2016
- All 2017 LIT acceptances will be announced by January 1, 2017
- All accepted LIT’s must enroll and fill out the online camper application by October 1, 2016 (for Early Bird) or November 1, 2016 to be accepted into the 2017 LIT program: https://forestlake.campintouch.com/v2/camper/application/app0.aspx
- All 7-week accepted LITs will receive a 20% tuition discount.
For more information, please contact Lilly@forestlakecamp.com